Cox Legacy Scholarship
The Cox Legacy Scholars Program provides for hard-working Indiana residents who are academically strong, have demonstrated financial need, and have a commitment to developing their personal and professional skills while attending Indiana University Bloomington. Cox Legacy Scholars receive the following:
- A scholarship and stipend package that – in conjunction with any other institutional funding they receive – will total the official cost of attendance at Indiana University Bloomington.*
*Students can receive gift aid from institutional funds (IU merit scholarships, grants, and fee remissions) totaling no more than the official cost of attendance for Indiana University Bloomington. Please note that Cox Scholarship amounts will be reduced to ensure that a student’s individual aid package does not exceed the official cost of attendance for IU Bloomington. External scholarships and entitlements from federal and state funds can be awarded regardless of total aid package.
To be eligible for the Cox Legacy Scholars Program, you must:
- Enter IU classified as an Indiana Resident.
- Be pursuing your first baccalaureate degree.
- Be a full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours upon arrival and throughout your academic career at IU Bloomington.
- Have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average or higher (4.0 scale) at time of admission.
- Be willing to fulfill an eight to ten hour per week work commitment.
- Demonstrate financial need by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 10 for the upcoming academic year.
*Please note: NCAA athletes are not eligible for the Cox Scholarships.
The overall objective for the Cox Legacy Scholars is to build on their academic experience by engaging in a meaningful work experience with a department, office, or faculty member. Cox Legacy Scholars develop invaluable personal and professional development skills. In addition to work component duties, Cox Legacy Scholars participate in the following:
- Career preparation and development
- Community service projects
- Career and personal assessments
To apply for the Cox Legacy Scholars Program, you must complete the following steps by March 10, 2017:
1. Apply online through One.IU beginning on October 1, 2016.
- In One.IU, enter the keyword "scholarships" in the search bar.
- Click on the "Scholarships" icon, a dollar sign ($) with a graduation cap.
- Click "Apply" under the "Cox Scholarship Application"
2. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
2017 Cox Legacy Scholars Selection Timeline (for incoming freshmen)
By Friday, March 24, 2017 An email will be sent to finalists with an invitation to attend a required 30-minute interview at the Indiana Memorial Union on the IU Bloomington campus. March 29-30 & April 4-6, 2017 Interview Dates Friday, April 14, 2017 All interviewees will be notified of their status by this date.
2017 Cox Legacy Scholars Selection Timeline (for current IU Bloomington students)
By Tuesday, April 11, 2017 An email will be sent to finalists with an invitation to attend a required 30-minute interview. April 19-20, 2017 Interview Dates Friday, April 28, 2017 All interviewees will be notified of their status by this date.
Cox Legacy Scholarships that are awarded to incoming freshmen are renewable for a total of four years (eight semesters) of undergraduate study, not including summer sessions, or until the student earns their first baccalaureate degree. Cox Legacy Scholarships that are awarded to current students at Indiana University Bloomington are renewable for a total of three years (six semesters) of undergraduate study, not including summer sessions, or until the student earns their first baccalaureate degree. If a student chooses to attend another college or university (including an IU campus other than Bloomington), the scholarship is forfeited. In order to renew their scholarships, Cox Legacy Scholars must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled full time (12 or more credit hours) as a degree-seeking student on the Bloomington campus. Waitlisted courses do not count toward official enrollment.
- Maintain a cumulative program GPA of 3.0 at IU.
- Successfully work in their on-campus position during their entire enrollment at Indiana University.
"The Cox Legacy Program helps you realize that there really is a goal to work for, and that hard work does pay off immensely."—Jared Wagner, Cox Legacy Scholar