21st Century Scholarship Covenant
Indiana University is committed to making a high-quality education affordable to Indiana residents.
The 21st Century Scholarship Covenant, first awarded in the fall of 2007, is an award designed to supplement the 21st Century Scholarship and assist high financial need students from Indiana in earning college degrees.
Recipients of the 21st Century Scholarship receive support services from the IU Bloomington 21st Century Scholars office. This office supports scholars throughout their undergraduate experience by providing access to mentoring services, academic and professional guidance and workshops, and opportunities to network with other scholars.
To become eligible to receive the Covenant, 21st Century Scholars must:
- Apply to IU during the fall of your senior year and be accepted by the Office of Admissions. Don’t forget to indicate that you are a 21st Century Scholar on the application for admission.
- Complete the Scholar Success Program requirements. Track your progress in your ScholarTrack account.
- Included as one of the Scholar Success Program requirements, submit the online application for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 10 of your senior year.
- Complete the Intent to Enroll form for IU Bloomington and enroll in the fall following your senior year of high school.
Covenant Award Process
Once admitted, the 21st Century Scholarship Covenant Award is available to 21st Century Scholars who demonstrate unmet financial need. The Covenant is an automatic financial award that is provided for students who demonstrate unmet financial need and therefore does not require a separate application.
- Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) determines the expected family contribution (EFC).
- The EFC is added to the tuition waiver from the state, and is subtracted from the direct costs of attendance which determines your financial need.
- After any grants or additional scholarships, if there is any remaining unmet financial need to cover direct costs, the Covenant is awarded and can be used toward the average cost of room, board, and books.
- Please keep in mind that there will be no direct amount paid directly to student since the cost of books varies by each student.
The amount of the award varies by each student’s financial aid profile. Your expected family contribution, federal and state grants, and additional scholarships could impact the amount of unmet financial need you will have. The disbursement of this award is based on the discretion of the Office of Student Financial Assistance. More information about financial aid is available on the Student Central website.
Retaining the Covenant
In order to retain the Covenant after your freshmen year, you are required to:
- Maintain continuous enrollment at IU Bloomington
- Complete your FAFSA by March 10 of each spring
- Meet all scholarship requirements set by the 21st Century Scholar state office
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
21st Century Scholarships Covenant
408 N. Union Street 324
Bloomington, IN 47405
21st Century Scholars Program IU Bloomington
Eigenmann 603 South
1900 E. Tenth Street
Bloomington, IN 47406
Vince Isom, Director