Cox Exploratory Scholarship
The Cox Exploratory Scholars Program provides for hard-working Indiana residents who are incoming freshmen, are academically strong, have demonstrated financial need, and have a desire to help educate and mentor their peers. Students selected as Cox Exploratory Scholars receive the following:
- A scholarship and stipend package that – in conjunction with any other institutional funding they receive – will total the official cost of attendance at Indiana University Bloomington.*
*Students can receive gift aid from institutional funds (IU merit scholarships, grants, and fee remissions) totaling no more than the official cost of attendance for Indiana University Bloomington. Please note that Cox Scholarship amounts will be reduced to ensure that a student’s individual aid package does not exceed the official cost of attendance for IU Bloomington. External scholarships and entitlements from federal and state funds can be awarded regardless of total aid package.
To be eligible for the Cox Exploratory Scholars Program, you must:
- Enter IU classified as an Indiana Resident.
- Be a US citizen.
- Be pursuing your first baccalaureate degree.
- Be a full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours upon arrival and throughout your academic career at IU Bloomington.
- Be earning a 3.0 cumulative grade point average or higher (4.0 scale) at time of admission.
- Be willing to fulfill an eight to ten hour per week work commitment.
- Demonstrate financial need by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1, 2018. If you wish to submit your Cox application by the priority deadline, you must also submit your FAFSA by February 1, 2018.
*Please note: NCAA athletes are not eligible for the Cox Scholarships.
The overall objective for the Cox Exploratory Scholars is to assist undergraduate students at IU Bloomington, as well as prospective students, with the exploration, decision-making, planning, and reflection processes related to their undergraduate education. They work eight to ten hours each week (in addition to being a full-time student) as IU Peer Coaches on the IU Bloomington campus.
Work component duties will involve helping students find and use resources needed to plan their own education and, more broadly, their academic, personal, and professional development. These resources include:
- Academic advising
- Online degree planning tools
- Student support services
A key duty will be to share your experiences pursuing your goals. In short, the Cox Exploratory Scholars will serve as exploratory leaders on campus.
To apply for the Cox Exploratory Scholars Program, you must complete the following steps by March 1, 2018. Priority deadline is February 1, 2018:
1. Apply online through the Cox Scholarship Application.
- Create your IU computing account. You will need your 10-digit university ID number provided in your admission notification email to create this account. It may take up to two hours to activate your account. Do not log in using your guest account.
- Once your account is activated, log into One.IU. Enter the keyword "scholarships" in the search bar.
- Click on the "Scholarships" icon, a dollar sign ($) with a graduation cap: .
- Click “Sign In With Your Network ID.” You may be prompted to sign in using your IU credentials.
- Complete all questions on the “General Application,” then click “Finish and Submit.” This should be completed before applying for a Cox Scholarship. Please ensure that you answer all questions thoroughly.
- Select “Other Recommended Opportunities”.
- Search for “Cox”.
- Select “IUB-Cox Scholarship Application” and apply.
2. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the Cox Scholarship Application deadline.
Please note: The Cox Scholarship Application requires two letters of recommendation. It is your responsibility to ensure we receive your recommendation letters by the application deadline. We recommended that you apply early to give your recommenders ample to time complete and submit your recommendation letters.
2018 Cox Exploratory Scholars Selection Timeline
By Friday, March 16, 2018 An email will be sent to finalists with an invitation to attend a required 30-minute interview on the IU Bloomington campus. March 20-22 & March 27-29, 2018 Interview Dates By Friday, April 6, 2018 All interviewees will be notified of their status.
The Cox Exploratory Scholarship is available to students as incoming freshmen and, once awarded, is renewable for a total of four years (eight semesters) of undergraduate study, not including summer sessions. If a student chooses to attend another college or university (including an IU campus other than Bloomington), the scholarship is forfeited. In order to renew their scholarships, Cox Exploratory Scholars must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled full-time (12 or more credit hours) as a degree-seeking student on the Bloomington campus. Waitlisted courses do not count toward official enrollment.
- Maintain a cumulative program GPA of 3.0 at IU.
- Successfully participate in the IU Peer Coach Program during their entire enrollment at Indiana University.
"My first year as a Cox Exploratory Scholar has been phenomenal. I entered IU having no clue what major or career I wanted to pursue, and the program put me on a track I had no idea existed."—Robbie McAnelly, Cox Exploratory Scholar